An old Serbian traditional dish revamped

We had a great today, I did my 15 minutes resistance training and a quick tabata workout as we had to get out the door quick smart! Of course after my very long sleep in 10AM!!!! Thank you my darling Adrian for giving me a sleep in. Mwah!


It was such a gorgeous winters day today and I managed to capture that beauty on my iPhone4 with the glorious instagram application, oh how I love thee!!!!


Here is my youngest daughter Zali and I, having some photos together at home on her 10 month birthday today!!!! ;-)



Now....getting back to some food. After my workout this morning I had a post workout shake. It's always important to fuel your body with supportive foods.

1 banana
protein powder
1tbs frozen raspberries
250ml of water/milk


Breakfast rather brunch (remember I had a sleep in)


I typically poach our eggs but fried these eggs in olive oil 
Served with cheese, tomatoes, spinach and corn thins 



This presentation of an egg monster face was for the kids :)
Afternoon snack
Fruit salad with a sprinkle of walnuts
1 blackcurrant tea
2 peanut butter cookies


Dinner
Chicken paprika
served with golden puree, dollop of natural yogurt, lemon rind and chives





Now this brings me to the title of this post. I remember trying to get a piece of the action in the kitchen when I was a little girl but the only action I would get from Mum was a wave of the "Drvena kašika" wooden spoon! :-))) ha ha (sorry Mum). Let's just say kids in the kitchen wasn't a favourite activity with my Serbian Mum. Nevertheless the cooking was always something I remember and here is my version of a classic Serbian meal we used to have growing up as kids.

Mum typically served this with either white rice or mash potato and of course with a BIG dollop of sour cream :-)))) YUMMO but I have placed my healthier twist on this type of meal and hope you enjoy it.

My revamp version:

Dust 600g sliced or diced chicken with GF or sometimes I use rice flour
Season with salt and pepper
Shake in a zip lock bag and dust off any excess flour
Heat some olive oil in a fry pan and cook the chicken
Once browned, add a diced onion, 1tbs paprika and water to allow these juices to absorb and cook for approximately 20 minutes, stirring regularly  and add water if the mixture becomes too dry.

I typically stir natural yogurt through the chicken mix and serve with a sweet potato and carrot puree.


You have read this article afternoon snack / breakfast / dinner / food / morning snack / photography / serbian / tabata with the title An old Serbian traditional dish revamped. You can bookmark this page URL http://jrhehjg.blogspot.com/2012/06/an-old-serbian-traditional-dish-revamped.html. Thanks!

No comment for "An old Serbian traditional dish revamped"

Post a Comment