Grocery Shopping

You know you're a blogger when... your favorite part of grocery shopping is getting to blog about it after! As my friend and and I were leaving the grocery store I looked at her and said "I can't wait to arrange all this stuff on my counter and take a picture for my blog!" I definitely got a cookoo look back...

I've been whining the last week about how I am a poor college girl who is out of food and believe me I was. I hadn't been grocery shopping in over two weeks and it was good to have finally gone. My friend and I donated (sold) our plasma on Friday  so I had some extra money in my pocket and I was ready to shop! 

and Shop I did! 

I've been working on making more health conscious decisions at the grocery store so before I left I made sure to grab my grocery list that I divided up into different sections like fruits, vegetables, protein, dairy, carbohydrates, and miscellaneous. I am proud to say that my fruits and vegetable lists were much longer than all of the others put together! 

I had originally intended to go to HEB (San Antonio's local grocery store) and Walmart and divide up the list in order to get the cheapest possible groceries but since I don't have a car and wasn't driving I decided to get everything at HEB. 

I spent $109 on groceries, which is more than I have ever spent before. I bought A LOT of fruits and veggies but I also bought some staple things that I knew I would use over and over again. 

All the goods :) 





Of course, I didn't make ALL clean eating choices at the grocery store so here's the break down...

Non-clean Eating
  • Diet 7-Up & Pepsi Max 
  • Red Baron frozen French Bread pizza
  • Rotisserie Chicken 
  • Spreadable butter 
  • tortilla chips 
Now the chicken was an impulse buy and in retrospect it probably wasn't the best purchase but I love it, it's already cooked, and it's great on salads and on its own. The frozen pizza I knew it was bad for me. I like to use it as my cheat meal of the week but I think this one is going to be my last frozen pizza. I still haven't given up my diet soda addiction but I try not to drink more than one a day (yeah it got pretty bad there for a while....). I use the butter very sparingly but I like it on my toast with my eggs. They didn't have any pop chips so I bought tortilla chips because I felt like they were the closest thing to a crunchy snack that I could have without getting too "unclean."

Clean Eating
  • Water bottles (I am still debating whether or not to get a Brita)
  • Mrs. Dash
  • Liquid Egg Whites
  • Cupcake Chardonnay 
  • Skim milk
  • Greek Yogurt 
  • Coffee (Duncan Donuts brand)
  • Stevia in the raw
  • Cucumber
  • watermelon
  • Cherry tomatoes
  • taco seasoning 
  • shredded Colby Jack cheese
  • avocado
  • peaches
  • grapefruit
  • apples
  • Nestle Coffee-Mate Natural Bliss coffee creamer (only 3 ingredients!)
  • turkey bacon 
  • Puffins (original)
  • Corn tortillas 
  • Bear Naked maple-pecan granola
  • Oat nut bread
  • Oatmeal (regular not instant)
  • Spinach
  • Romaine
  • lemons
  • Mango
  • bananas
  • green grapes
  • frozen corn
  • baby carrots
  • frozen strawberries
  • frozen Tilapia
I don't know a lot about grocery shopping but I think I did pretty well. This was my first big shopping trip I have ever made by myself. I got a couple pretty good deals. My favorite Greek yogurt was on sale and usually I buy my Tilapia fresh and then freeze it myself but they had a large bag of frozen Tilapia on sale and that looked like a much better deal. 

I have already resigned myself to the fact that eating clean is going to be more expensive than not eating clean but I like knowing that most of the food I buy is good for me :) The HEB I go to is not in a very nice part of town but they have cheaper food prices but the GucciEB (as opposed to the GhettoB) has a lot more organic options and is really nice but seeing as I just sold my own blood to buy groceries I am going to be fine with the GhettoB. If you have any tips or tricks on making grocery shopping easy please share!

As soon as I get done grocery shopping I like to wash, cut, and put away all of my fruits and veggies. There's nothing like slicing and dicing to some music! I have a mini fridge so it gets pretty packed. While I hate that I basically have like half of a freezer it does keep me from making too many frozen food purchases, which as we all know are not very clean! 

Now I have a happy, healthy fridge :)

PS: if you have any tips or tricks for easier/cheaper shopping leave them in the comments below :) 



You have read this article with the title Grocery Shopping. You can bookmark this page URL http://jrhehjg.blogspot.com/2012/09/grocery-shopping.html. Thanks!

No comment for "Grocery Shopping"

Post a Comment