Heat and Humidity (and Mexican Food)

I'd like to say that yesterday was a pretty successful day... I was able to sleep in (I think I'm the only person that sees that as an accomplishment), I surpassed my 10% goal at my WW weigh-in, got a couple of hours in at work, went to Chewy's with a friend for dinner, picked up my laundry from Catherine's, and  squeezed in a workout. 

My morning yoga class was starting at 10:00 am yesterday so I definitely wasn't going to make that but I felt bad about not working out so I decided that I would just do it outside. My stupid gym (the YMCA) has horrible hours, not gonna lie, so I need to improvise with my workout locations sometimes. Normally, I would just go to yoga or something but at 9:00 at night my choices were limited. I decided to go to the track at the college because it's relatively well lit and more secure than just running through neighborhoods. I did another session of Couch to 5K week 2 on ze track. So in terms of the Couch to 5K workouts this is what I've done thus far:

Couch to 5K Week 1:
  • Brisk 5 minute walk, alternating 1 minute of jogging and 1 minute 30 seconds walking for 20 minutes then a 5 minute cool down walk. 
Couch to 5K Week 2:
  • Brisk 5 minute walk, alternating 1 1/2 minutes of jogging and 2 minutes of walking for a total of 21 minutes then a 5 minute cool down walk. 
I'm about to embark on week 3 tomorrow.

Couch to 5K Week 3:
  • Brisk 5 minute walk to warm up, two repetitions of the following jog for 1 1/2 minutes, walk for 1 1/2 minutes, jog for 3 minutes, and walk for 3 minutes. Follow with a 5 minute cool down walk. 
It was definitely not an easy run. For one, I had just had a substantial helping of rice, beans, tortilla chips, and salsa - not an excellent pre-workout meal. Two, I NEVER workout outside because San Antonio is so hot... and there's humidity...  that's not so great. It makes even the easiest workout seem ten times harder. I was really happy with my pace though. There's a building adjacent to the track with large windows and when I caught my reflection I was very impressed at how fast it looked like I was running. I might not have been going that fast but usually it feels like I'm flying then I get a peak at what I actually look like and basically I understand how turtles feel. You feel fast, but you look like you're crawling. Not yesterday though! By the end my workout my chest was tight, I was tired, sweating, and weezing breathing hard. Thankfully it was dark at this point and a slight cool breeze (which is unusual for SA) was blowing across the track. 

After my final week 2 session I followed it up with walking lunges down the football field. Afterwards I did a few butt kicks and high knees. I decided to do some arm work with girly push-ups alternating with abs. I also decided to try a few plank to forearm back to plank moves (only 5, they were fricking hard). I did a few bicycle ab moves. I followed it up with a little stretching. Guess who can touch their toes now? This girl! Guess who thought they were going to puke by the time they got back into the car? This girl! Normally, after I have hard workout I think to myself "wow I feel like I could puke!" but yesterday the only thing going through my mind was "damn I am definitely going to puke!" I managed to hold back but it was a struggle. As hard as my workout was I felt really strong and like I accomplished something. I wanted to get something in my stomach before I went to sleep so I had the second half of my breakfast smoothie. Then I had that post-workout energy spike and it took me forever to fall asleep but darn it, I slept really well! 

Since I was up so late I decided not to get up at 5 to workout so tonight I'm just going to go to the 7:00 pm yoga class I had scheduled. The class is an hour and a half though... that's a little long but we'll see! Have a wonderful day ladies and gents! I found a cool picture on Tumblr yesterday and I thought that I'd post it because I liked the message and I hope you do too!







You have read this article with the title Heat and Humidity (and Mexican Food) . You can bookmark this page URL http://jrhehjg.blogspot.com/2013/06/heat-and-humidity-and-mexican-food.html. Thanks!

No comment for "Heat and Humidity (and Mexican Food) "

Post a Comment